The worlds healthiest salad! Tabbouleh, however you spell it! At least in my opinion is the healthiest :). I grew up chopping parsley so it’s somewhat relaxing to me. Is that weird? It doesn’t matter because the end result is the most nutritious, tasty salad ever. I have chose at this moment of my life to make mine gluten free. My Mom asks where’s the bulgur wheat? I just tell her I forgot! I really left it out because I don’t want it. I think it’s better without it and healthier for people that cannot have wheat. I also chose to use flat leaf parsley, but you can use the curly one. I think the flat leaf is more flavorful. Either one and I promise you will make a mess, but it’s part of the process 🙂 I miss making Tabbouleh with my Mom and Grandma but will continue this one forever! I hope you take the time to chop and make Tabbouleh!
- 2 bunches of flat leaf parsley chopped
- 15 grape or 3 good ripe tomatoes chopped small ( try to find good tomatoes it makes a difference)
- 1 bunch of scallions chopped
- 2-3 baby cucumbers- no need to peel this type
- 1 1/2 to 2 lemons juiced. Do not use bottled lemon juice! Yuk!
- 1/8 cup of good extra virgin olive oil, I just drizzle I don’t measure. Don’t skimp on good olive oil.
- 1 handful of fresh mint leaves chopped (you can use dry if you don’t have fresh)
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Celtic sea salt to taste
Add all chopped ingredients to a large bowl. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix with your hands, not spoons! Voila! Yummy, healthy, hopefully juicy Tabbouleh (this depends on the tomatoes). Top it with grilled chicken or salmon or put it in a collard green wrap with hummus. Any way when you eat this salad you will have a powerhouse of nutrients and a belly that says thank you 🙂